Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Kitchen Revival // Using The Vegetables From Your Garden


If you're anything like me, you GROSSLY overestimated the amount of vegetables you should have planted this season. Granted, this was our time starting a garden, so my strategy was to plant a ton in case half our plants died off. I guess my thumb was greener than I thought because out of the 18 tomato plants we put in the ground, only 2 have not fruited. And by fruited, I mean EXPLODED with tomatoes. Our cherry tomato plants, which started at 1 foot high, have grown to 5 feet high and are crawling out across our walkways on PVC pipe bridges we've set up for them. All in all, we are harvesting far too many tomatoes every day to eat so I had to find something to do with all those 'maters. Luckily I came across this recipe from Smitten Kitchen for Fresh Tomato Sauce and set out to make my first batch today.




I will warn you, the prepping of the tomatoes does take FOREVER, but the cooking of the sauce is easy peasy after all that. Here's the recipe for the sauce- the flavor does beat anything you can buy in a jar, even if it does take you all afternoon.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...