Monday, June 25, 2012

Garden Seeds on the Road // Hydrangea



I am visiting my parents in New Jersey and must share some of my mother's garden with you.  My mom has been a big inspiration to me as she is a long-time gardener and has a beautiful property.  One of her garden's features is hydrangea.  She has many varieties and colors and luckily, they are all in bloom in June.  Take a look:

Oakleaf Hydrangea
Annabelle Hydrangea


Hydrangea have a unique ability to change color based upon the ph of the soil.  I have read that you can put one in a pot and manipulate the ph in an effort to change if from pink to blue, for example.  Pretty cool science!

Lace Cap Hydrangea
Side yard



Hydrangea are not intended for the Arizona climate.  They are better suited for cold climates, or zones 4-9.  If you see one in a store in Phoenix, do not buy it with the intent of planting it in your garden.  It may survive for a week or so, but will ultimately land in your compost.  

Happy Hydrangea!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...