Saturday, February 25, 2012

Handmade Brilliance { local } // Bitsy Bear



My talented friend, Chelise, is an amazing seamstress. She creates clothing for little girls that are to die for. Not to mention her daughter is such a darling model. Lucky for us she shares her original designs for sale through her successful business, Bitsy Bear.

Prepare yourselves. You are about to panic because of cuteness overload.

Tell us your story. What brought you to now?

I am a self-taught seamstress, designer, and business owner. I did not grow up using a sewing machine or even had a sewing machine in my house growing up I don't think. My husband bought me my first machine when we got married and I learned how to use it by making quilts. When my daughter Drew was born, I quit teaching first grade to be a stay-at-home mom. I loved staying at home with my baby and would not have had it any other way, but all the creative juices and motivation I used to use for my students needed somewhere to go. So I not only started sewing for her but knew I wanted to make a business out of it.


Golden Halter Swimsuit for toddler and girl- READY TO SHIP
Oh how Bitsy Bear has grown from the baby stage of onesies, burp cloths, and binky clips. As Drew grew, I became more daring with my sewing creations and made her my first dress. It was rough around the edges, but it was cute! I became more confident. Since I have never liked store bought patterns, I bought books from Amazon that taught me how to make my own patterns and create them in a range of sizes. I started selling my designs and am still doing so today! 


Pre-order- Easter Flowers Tuxedo Dress for baby, toddler, and girl
Many people tell me that they wish they could sew and I always say, "You can!" You will probably have to pull out stitches and replace broken needles along the way, but if you want to sew then sew!

Pre-order- Easter Plaid Tie Dress for baby, toddler, and girl

What does handmade mean to you?
Coral Pink Halter Swimsuit for toddler and girl- READY TO SHIPI have read many times about people who say that they started their own clothing line because they just couldn't find cute enough clothes while shopping in stores for their own children.  For me that is just not true. There are so many to-die-for kids clothing out there. I have also heard people say that they hand make to save money. Again for me, just not true. Fabric, buttons, thread, zippers, needles, etc. add up in my book to much more than a dress I could go pick up at Old Navy. 


Handmade, to me, is a connection to a person. When my daughter puts on a finished dress I made her, even at four years old she knows it is special. She says things like, "You made this for me? Thank you! I love it!" She knows I spent time on something just for her (well it's for me too, but don't tell her that). You can't get that kind of personal connection from that cute $10 Old Navy dress. I know my customers are not buying dresses from me to make a personal connection with me, but they know that what they are getting is something special.
Holiday Tuxedo Dress- READY TO SHIP Size 4T

Chelise also designs these adorable onesies that feature the lyrics to nursery rhymes.
Organic Cotton Rockin' Onesie- Itsy Bitsy by Bitsy Bear
I think it's clear that Chelise has endless talent and an eye for style. I want to be just like her when I grow up.

Keep an eye out on her shop because she is always featuring seasonal dresses and new designs.

Follow her on facebook and get details when she is doing a give-away or having a sale.

And go get your daughter a unique Easter dress and show it off!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...